Shareholder Orange County
Patty Matias represents employers in all areas of employment law, including wage and hour, class and representative actions, discrimination and harassment, retaliation, government agency investigations, disability, leaves of absence, and employment policies.
Patty works closely with clients to identify their objectives, address their specific problems, and achieve business-focused results. In response to client satisfaction surveys, Patty’s clients have noted that she “works tirelessly to guarantee we are educated and protected” and has been a “valuable source of knowledge, support, and guidance.”
- U.S. District Court, Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of San Diego School of Law, 2007
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of California – Irvine, 2004
Honors and Awards
- Order of the Coif
- Recipient, Dean’s Outstanding Merit Scholarship
Practice and Industry Groups
- Higher Education
- Wage and Hour
Patty’s practice includes representing clients:
- In state and federal courts and in arbitration against claims of discrimination and harassment, wage and hour violations, retaliation, wrongful termination, and breach of contact.
- Before the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and the United States Department of Labor.
- In wage and hour class actions and representative actions under the Private Attorneys General Act.
- Before the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
She also works with clients to improve compliance and provide preventative advice. Patty assists clients with matters such as:
- Auditing wage and hour policies and practices.
- Updating and developing employee handbooks, personnel policies and procedures, and employment and severance agreements.
- Conducting internal investigations of employee complaints.
- Advising human resources in addressing employee issues.
Professional Activities and Speeches
- Professionals in Human Resources Administration
- Tustin Chamber of Commerce
- Orange County Bar Association
- Hispanic Bar Association of Orange County
- California Staffing Professionals
- California Staffing Professionals Annual Staffing and Recruiting Conference – ”Navigating Our Ever-Changing Legal Landscape” – Rancho Mirage – June 08, 2018
- Women’s In-House Counsel Leadership Institute – ”Managing Toxic Employees and Cannabis in the Workplace” – Costa Mesa – April 20, 2018
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing – ”What’s New in California Employment Law? As Always, Plenty!” – Orange County – April 12, 2018
- Ogletree Deakins Navigating California Employment Law Seminar – ”Legal Land Mine: What Is California’s PAGA, and How Can It Kill My Company?” – Napa – March 02, 2018
- ACC SoCal In-House Counsel Conference – ”Did you ‘Really’ Just Say That? An Interactive Look at Handling Sexual Harassment Complaints” – Anaheim – January 24, 2018
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar – ”California Labor and Employment Law Update” – Orange County – October 25, 2017
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing – ”New Laws, New Regulations, and Key Issues for 2017” – Costa Mesa – April 05, 2017
- Professional in Human Resources Association – ”Best Practices for Employee Handbooks” – Pomona – October 2015
- Professional in Human Resources Association – ”Auditing Employee Handbooks and Workplace Policies” – Anaheim – April 2015
- ACC – Sac. Briefing – ”Trends in Class Action Wage and Hour Employment Litigation” – Sacramento – January 2012